Felicia Simpson (Winston-Salem State University), Jacqueline Hughes-Oliver (North Carolina State University), Jamylle Carter (Diablo Valley College), Prince Afriyie (University of Virginia), Samuel Echevarria-Cruz (Austin Community College)
This panel discussion will consider questions such as:
- What are some barriers to pursuing study of statistics, and succeeding in study of statistics, for students from under-represented groups?
- What are some strategies for eliminating barriers and expanding opportunities for students from under-represented groups in the following areas?
- Individual courses
- Program/department culture
- How (if at all) does the emerging discipline of data science provide potential solutions for expanding opportunities and fostering diversity?
- What are some strategies for encouraging and supporting people from diverse backgrounds to pursue and succeed in careers as statistics teachers and statistics education researchers?
- Would you care to share any personal stories of barriers encountered (and hopefully overcome!) from yourself, or friends or colleagues or students?