With Stacey Hancock & Jade Schmidt
This submission is an activity designed to guide students through exploring multivariable data in the data visualization software Tableau, then exploring the people behind the data through Dollar Street. The activity can be used as an out-of-class assignment or an in-class activity.
- Identify the observational units in a study.
- Identify a variable and determine whether the variable is quantitative or categorical.
- Create an appropriate type of plot for one, two, or multiple variables based on the types of variables (quantitative or categorical) and their roles (explanatory or response).
- Gain information from a plot and summarize.
- Reflect on the type of information that cannot be discovered through quantitative or categorical variables, and how pictures can give one insight into a data set.